SAMPLING OF AREA ATTRACTIONS
Ask us to help plan and map an itinerary for either your journey to or from the Inn or for a day of adventuring and outings in the area!
Wineries & Wine
- Nachusa Grasslands: Nachusa Grasslands, located just a few miles from the Inn, consists of 3,500 acres of prairie remnants, restorations, and reconstructions. Perfect location for a wonderful hike. Owned by The Nature Conservancy, Nachusa staff and volunteers have recreated a vision of 1800’s Illinois mosaic prairie, savanna, and wetlands, complete with native bison! Now available, Prairie State Hike App! Download from iTunes on your smartphone!
- Castle Rock State Park: Located only about six miles away, this 2,000-acre state park is a unique natural resource in Illinois. Six miles of hiking trails can also be used for cross-country skiing.
- Franklin Creek State Natural Area & Grist Mill: Just a few miles away, this 882-acre hardwood forest is home to several large natural springs, bedrock outcroppings, and a large variety of flora and fauna. Also home to the restored 1847 Grist Mill. The park offers 4 ½ miles of hiking trails, 12 miles of equestrian trails, six miles of snowmobile trails, two miles of cross-country ski-trails, and creek fishing. The Mill is open for tours from noon to 4 p.m., Friday to Sunday, April 11 through October 31.
- Illinois Audubon Society Amboy Marsh: A 272-acre wetland complex with 2.5 miles of trails where you may see the state-endangered Blanding’s turtle and a unique ephemeral orchid wetland.
- Lowden State Park: Located just north of Oregon, Illinois, the park is home to the Black Hawk statue designed by sculptor Lorado Taft. Four miles of hiking of trails along with boating and fishing on the Rock River are plentiful!
- White Pines Forest State Park: Located in the heart of the Rock River Valley in Mt. Morris, Illinois, with tremendous history on its 385 acres. Hiking and winter sports abound!
- Bike Ogle: area biking routes
- Lowden-Miller State Forest
- White Pelican Canoe Rental on the Rock River, Oregon, IL
- Chicagoland Skydiving Center, Rochelle, IL
- Rock River Trail: 320 miles of canoeing, biking, hiking and exploring!
- Lowell Park,Dixon, IL
-Nearest for lunch:
-Nearest for Dinner:
- Lincolnway Café: Franklin Grove, IL
- The Huddle: Ashton, IL
- BBY Carryout (specializes in great fried chicken): Dixon, IL
- Arthur’s Garden Deli, Dixon, IL
- Plus many, many other options in Dixon and Oregon
Theater & Entertainment
Antiques/Vintage & Shopping
- Lincolnway Café (Friday evenings only): Franklin Grove, IL
- La Vigna(Italian): Oregon, IL
- Blackhawk Steakpit (near the Rock River): Oregon, IL
- Orom (gourmet, locally sourced): Dixon, IL
- Basil Tree (Italian): Dixon, IL
- Galena Steakhouse: Dixon, IL
- Touch of Thai: Dixon, IL
- Salamandra Restaurant (Mexican), Dixon, IL
- Aldo’s Pizzeria and Italian Ristorante: Rochelle, IL
- Ralphie & LuLu’s, Ashton, IL
- White Pines Lodge Restaurant, Oregon, IL (check site for seasonal hours)
Area Tourism/Event Information
- Lost Nation Golf Club: located only a few miles away, this unique 18-hole golf course is open to the public with daily fees.
- Timber Creek Golf: Dixon, IL
- Silver Ridge: 18-hole in the Rock River Valley, Oregon, IL. Daily fee and open to the public.
- Prairie View Golf Club: 18-hole golfing located in Byron, IL, overlooking restored dolomite prairie. Daily fee and open to the public.